Re: remastering d-i netinst CDs

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:57:20PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Shane Wegner wrote:
> > I am trying to get a Debian sarge installation CD built
> > using a custom kernel.  I am new to d-i so am not really
> >
> > Any help or pointers to relevant documentation would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Look in debian-installer/kernel/linux-kernel-di to build your udebs, and
> look at the debian-cd package to build the actual CD. Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers.  The kernel udebs were simple
enough to build.  Though when trying to build the boot
floppies to test, the kernel did not boot after d-i ran upx
on it.  Disabling upx fixed that.

As for netinst, is debian-cd the only way?  It appears that
it needs a local Debian mirror which I don't have.  Would
it not be possible to fetch the appropriate debs and put
them into an archive structure or take an existing netinst
CD, replace the kernel, initrd, and add the kernel-specific
udebs to the pool?  If so, what program generates the
Packages.gz files.  I can't seem to get dpkg-scanpackages
to pick up .udeb but only .deb files.

Thanks,
Shane