Re: Countrychooser changes

Christian Perrier wrote:
> The new version now first shows the user the list of the countries for
> which a valid locale exists in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED, depending on
> the language chosen in languagechooser.
>
> If one of these countries is selected, both the
> debian-installer/country AND debian-installer/locale are changed
> accordingly.

I'm having a hard time seeing how a user is supposed to unststand this.
Put yourself in the mindset of a user who does not know about locales,
and certianly does not know about supported locales. All of the existing
(IMHO over-verbose and confusing) text in the two questions will be
ignored. The user will be annoyed if their actual contry is not in the
first list, and will go pick it from the second list. The installer will
do something reasonable with the locale, or not. The user will be
annoyed he saw two more questions than seem to be necessary.

I can't imagine that many users will read and understand the warnings, and
opt to pick a country from the first list that is not really their
country, just to get a locale setting that is closer to what they
desire.

Wouldn't it be less confusing to do it like this:

  * languagechooser lists the top few countries for each language, plus
    "other". If "other" is chosen, do not set country.
  * countrychooser displays the full list of countries. If "other" was
    chosen, display it at high priority, otherwise, use low priority.
  * countrychooser generates a list of all supported locales for the
    language. If the above two steps resulted in a valid locale, make it
    be the default. Otherwise, pick a reasonable default locale for the
    selected language, ignoring the country. Always ask this question at
    low priority.

So, we would have four scenarios:

1. Most users would choose their language and country together in language
   chooser, and proceed with the install immediatly.
2. Some users would choose their language with no country ("other") in
   language chooser, and get a big list of countries to choose from. They
   would select a country, and the locale would be set to something that
   is, at worst, not too far off, and supported.
3. Users in expert mode would get to choose a language, then a country,
   and finally, would have the option to fine-tune their locale in yet
   another screen.
4. Customised or automated installs would be able to pre-seed the
   language, country, and locale as is appropriate for their target
   audience.

--
see shy jo