Re: install report: sid on i386, pure SCSI

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:11:39 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

>Herbert Kaminski wrote:
>> trying to install  sarge-i386-netinst.iso  from
>> http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sid_d-i/netinst/i386/20040131/
>> on a pure SCSI drives me crazy :-]
>
>What scsi controller please? d-i's CD knows about several common

Initio 9100UW (it needs module initio.o)

>controllers, but the less common ones do still require a driver floppy.
>I've updated all the docs, which were a bit out of date in this area.

Well, not only the docs, the floppy images I downloaded from links on
the D-I homepage two days ago contain modules for version 2.4.22,
whereas 2.4.24 is needed. Consequently, trying to load the module
"initio.o" manually returns an error message. BTW thanks to Thiemo
Seufer for telling me what to do with udebs :-)

>In "Load Installer Components", you pick "Fetch modules from a floppy"
>from the little menu that appears after the hardware detection.

Sorry, there is no little menu after hardware detection. I immediately
get the screen titled "[!!] Detecting hardware and loading kernel modules"
that says "Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted.This probably...
...Try again to mount the CD-ROM?" Selecting "Yes" just repeats this
screen, selecting "No" displays the next screen "Failed to find and
mount a Debian CD". The only choice "Continue" gets me back into the main
menu where I could select "Load installer components" which starts
HW detection again. The second time around, I get some more detailed
information: modules initio and 8139too are missing (if I understand
D-I correctly by now, priorty has been changed). But then this loops
endlessly.

Typing "net" at the boot prompt yesterday got me further up to the reboot
before it failed too. Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce this
today, so I will try to describe this from memory in a separate report.

Herbert

--
Herbert Kaminski  D-26122 Oldenburg
Tel. +49-441-5090133   Fax -9558939