Re: apt configuration issues

Allen Unueco wrote:
> I was testing debian-installer beta2 i386, the 100MB CD image version from:
>
> http://people.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/beta2/sarge-i386-netinst.iso
>
> I noticed some strange behavior during apt configuration. I would select
> 'http' and then 'ftp.us.debian.org'. The screen goes black, it looked
> like 'apt-get update' was successful, and then comes back to the  apt
> config screen. I'm slightly confused at this point, was there an error?
> are we done? What do I do next? I did this over and over.

This is a known bug in beta 2 of the installer, fixed in our cvs tree.
Just hit cancel to break out of that loop.

> Also I wasn't provided with an option to select non-US, contrib, or
> non-free.

non-US is a dumping ground for software that should have been moved to
the main archive over the past two years.

contrib is largely useless without non-free.

non-free is not part of Debian, and not needed by the majority of users
for a useful system.

Therefore none of them will be set up or prompted for by the sarge
installer. If you need them you can edit the sources.list file manually;
the installer has an option to let you do so.

--
see shy jo