Re: goals for next release

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:11:48AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Bastian Blank wrote:
> > dpkg failes to generate a changes file for such package, see #229143.
> > Please make aj decide this to be RC. The code is rather unreadable so i
> > don't fix it myself.
>
> I don't expect that will be particularly hard to fix (similar fixes were
> done to make dpkg-genchanges support udebs), I'm more worried
> about how dinstall will react to the .changes file afterwards.
>
> > >  - subarchitecture support for powerpc and m68k
> > >
> > > 	In progress. Actually, this may still happen for beta2/powerpc.
> >
> > NACK, it needs fixes in libdi, main-menu and anna.
> > The first is already in unstable, the last two build-depends against
> > that version and needs uploads.
>
> Hmm, that sounds a lot less beta-2 likely.

Well, for me, ok we can skip it, it is not all that important, only for
yaboot showing up while it should not, but since there is nobootloader
as fallback method, it should be ok.

Maybe we could do something so that yaboot fails graciously and offer
nobootloader or something such, which would work around that problem and
be transparent to users.

Currently yaboot-installer fails saying there is no AppleBootstrap or
whatever partition there. There are two issues :

  1) subarches for which yaboot is supposed to work (chrp & chrp-rs6k,
  limited to chrp-rs6k, since both non rs6k chrp i know of (pegasos and
  longtrail) have various problems with yaboot.

  2) subarches where yaboot has no chance of working (current pegasos,
  oldworld, apus, prep).

In the first case, i guess yaboot doesn't use the apple partition table,
but something else, i think a raw partition on ibm chrp-rs6k at least,
don't really know about others. This would mean yaboot-installer to be
fixed to recognize either of those.

In the second case, yaboot-installer could simply fail, either silently
and the nobootloader dialog would appear (it isn't appearing though, i
guess something in the postinst debconf stuff is bad, or priority not
right), or a more verbose "this appears to not be a rs6k chrp or
newwolrd pmac powerpc box, yaboot will not work, no boot-loader will be
installed, ... and go to install the nobootloader.

Ideally, but i don't know if this is beta2 stuff, a bootloader selector
would be done, which on powerpc selects yaboot, quik, nothing, and on
x86 would select grub, lilo, nothing. This could only be shown on lower
priority, and fallen back to if the primary boot-loader somehow fails.

Friendly,

Sven Luther