Re: Bits about countrychooser and languagechooser

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:57:41PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On 28.I.2004 at  9:04 Christian Perrier wrote:

> > This will have the following consequences:

> > -ru_DE will be your default locale

> ru_DE is nonsence unless someone defines such a locale.  LANG=ru_DE is
> equivalent to LANG=C.  The default locale _must_ be an existing locale.

> On 28.I.2004 at 17:40 Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:

> > I have done some differentiation on LC_CURRENCY, which is set to
> > de_DE.UTF-8 also at home.

> Probably you mean something like this:

> LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
> LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8@euro
> LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8@euro
> LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8@euro
> LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8@euro
> LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8@euro

> The idea is that the currency, the default paper-format, the format
> for mail-addresses, phone numbers and the default measurement units
> depend on the country, all other depends on the language.

> (For ru_RU and de_DE some of these are equivalent, but I listed all
> variables for completeness.)

This is what I envisioned for the handling of a language/country pair
that has no corresponding glibc locale: pick a "default" country to
match the language, and a "default" language to match the country, and
divide up the locale settings between them.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer