linuxpro

hi

The february issue of <a href="http://www.linuxpro.it";>linuxpro</a>,
an italian magazine, contains a snapshot of Debian sarge, either as
a DVD or in 4 CDs.

I bought it; I already have upgraded woody to sarge; but I wanted
to  try to install it from scratch.

It all went reasonably well, but for these issues:

1) the boot loader has the parameter "vga=normal"
(I found it in /cdrom/isolinux/isolinux.cfg) ; the resulting video
mode is incompatible with my video cards; namely, first PC is a
notebook with a sis630 video; second PC is attached to a television,
with a GeForce2 mx440. Pressing F4 at boot prompt, it told me to
use the boot option  "video=vga16:off" but this is no help; the
html docs suggest to use "nolangchooser" but this was no help either;
I had to fish into Knoppix to find the command "vga=771" that does
work.

2) I was never asked for the keyboard that I use; so I had to enter
all commands by searching for the keys

3) altough there is a general menu, with all install steps, I did not
ever see it, but I instead quickly stepped through the installation;
so I had no way to choose Grub instead of Lilo, or to tell
the installer to NOT install lilo; this was a problem
for me, because I lost access to my usual Debian system;
since this linuxpro DVD does not have rescue capabilities,
I had to use Knoppix to reinstall grub, to go back to my usual desktop.

4) to do this test, I reformatted my 256MB swap partition as ext2;
when I reached "tasksel", I just choose "laptop", and I found out that
this needs much more than 256MB; then I ended up in a dead situation,
where the disk was completely full, and dpkg was unable to do anything
(since it could not even save /var/lib/dpkg/status); there ended my
experience at install.

5) by default, people that choose to use "tasksel" will install gcc
and all the companions...  why? this uses a lot more disk space,
whereas many desktop users do not need gcc at all.

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)