Re: Bits about countrychooser and languagechooser

On Monday 26 January 2004 07:54, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Yes, that's the idea. However, I think that showing, for each
> languages, the most common combinations would be nice, not only for
> English.

yes of course, that's what I understood.

> For instance, Greek would be shown as follows:
>
> gr_GR Choose this......in greek (Greece)
> gr    Choose this......in greek (Other countries)

actually it's el_GR.

> Users from, say, Cyprus or Macedonia, could then choose "gr" and
> then be presented with all possible combinations, according to
> /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED.

actually it's only Cyprus that might choose greek. Macedonia (the part
which we call FYROM) has its own language. There is no need to
include a separate field for the greek part of Macedonia. This is
actually quite a sensitive matter here but I'll avoid getting into
politics.

> By the way, when it comes to greek, I see that no greek locale,
> including gr_GR, is shown in SUPPORTED....Pretty surprising to me.

yes the locale name is el_GR or more preferably el_GR.UTF-8 (since
ISO-8859-7 will be eventually replaced by the more flexible UTF-8,
and about time too). After discussion, it has been decided that the
default locale for a greek installation will be the UTF-8 one.

Konstantinos Margaritis