Re: using beta 2 install on oldworld powermac

Hi Rolando,

I'm also trying to get debian installer working on an OldWorld PowerMac.

See my comments below...

Enjoy!

Rick

Rolando Abarca wrote:

> Hello,
> this is my second try to install sarge on my PowerMac 7200/120, this time

... snip ...

> Everything went smooth from here, until it tried to install yaboot, wich
> won't work on oldworld powermacs, I tried to skip that step, but I wasn't
> allowed. Finally I decided to reboot the machine from the other terminal.
> After setting BootX to boot from the hard disk

... snip ...

> Now, I'm presented with the login prompt, but I can't login because I
> haven't set the password for root and I haven't created another account...
> The installer didn't finish it process... :(

I got past this one... Boot in single user mode. (Add "single" to the
boot parameters in BootX.  It will come up in single user mode and --for
some reason-- not demand a password.)  You can set the password for root
by typing "passwd root" and then reboot.  It will come up in multi-user
mode and you can log in as root using your new password.

> is there a way to finish it? I mean, what does the installer do after the
> first boot? I think that if I boot in single mode I'll be able to finish
> the install...

Once you login as root, you may have to manually enter the commands that
the installer would have done automatically after installing yaboot.  I
don't know, I haven't gotten that far yet.

See the recent posting by Sven (and my reply).  This issue may be fixed soon.

Rick