Re: Debian Installer beta2 working on an OldWorld PowerMac-6500/225

Thanks! Sven,

I've subscribed to the debian-boot list so I can listen in to the
discussion.  (Who know?  Maybe even participate a bit!)

BootX compatibility is fairly important to me because I've got some
really old hardware with fairly broken Open Firmware.  (PowerMac 6500,
and Beige G3).  Quik *can* be made to work on this hardware,  but if
anything goes wrong it's a long and arduous process getting the OF
settings back to a working condition.  Also, I need to be able to
dual-boot Debian and MacOS9.

As I understand  your reply:  Soon (Monday is the first time I'll be
able to play again... Is that too soon?) I should be able to download a
new iso from the "daily build" area that will allow me to tell it to
skip the boot-loader installation part and get on with things.  (I'll
have to simulate ["manually" using BootX] the normal functions of a boot
loader...)  this will get me un-stuck and allow me to move on to the
next phase of the installation.  Will it be obvious how to tell it to
skip the boot-loader install?  Or do I need some special magic?

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Thanks,

Rick

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:15:20AM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > Hardware:
> >
> > PowerMac 6500/225 with 128MB of RAM and a 6GB SCSI disk
> > partitioned as 2.5GB for MacOS, 3.0 GB for Linux root (an
> > "all-in-one" filesystem) and 500 MB for Linux swap.  It also has a
> > SCSI CD-RW drive and a floppy drive.
> >
> > Software: MacOS 9.1 with Roxio "Toast" for the CD-RW drive.
> >

> > Following the call for testers in Debian Weekly News - January
> > 20th, 2004, I decided to give it a try.
> >
> > The Beta2 d-i for PowerPC doesn't support OldWorld PowerMacs, but
> > armed with my trusty copy of BootX, I figured I could do anything
> > yaboot could do.  Amazingly, I succeeded in getting it to boot and
> > run the installer!  (Some problems remain, but I'm sure they can
> > be solved...)
>
> Cool.