d-i manual: content status report

Hi.

As the release of sarge is nearing, I wrote something like a status
report about its install manual at
http://www.debian.cz/~kurem/status.html
[Thanks to Denis Barbier for reading the first draft]

I'd like to wake up developers and convince them to start writing
missing bits of documentation.

Dumping here relevant part from the above url:

The manual text itself

   Thanks to Chris Tillman's hard work we now have solid base for
   sarge manual written in DocBook XML
   (debian-installer/doc/man/en/ directory). I guess about 30% is
   still missing and we need some actualization. *If* Joey claims
   beta2 will turn into final in e.g. 3 weeks and Aj sets up
   another aggressive release date (that's what we, still running
   on stable, desire), where will be manual then? And how much time
   will be left for translators to catch up? If my memory serves
   well, official documentation for cds and www is built only once
   (just before the new stable is released).

   It is clear, that rewriting parts of documentation again and
   again just to reflect the current state of the installer is
   quite unproductive. I don't propose this. What I propose, is to
   write _now_ about stable parts of d-i which _won't change_ (or
   will change in very subtle ways) in the future. [e.g. With clear
   conscience I do recommend translators to begin with translating
   of the welcome chapter right now, because I'm convinced
   everything important is in and won't change].

   So we are seeking someone with good knowledge of d-i, hardware
   (everybody on debian-boot list qualifies) and with perfect
   English language skills (to smuggle in few not-so-tedious
   messages (see "installation drama" in
   en/preparing/install-overview.xml)).

  Yet to write:
  =============

   en/module/
           Describe each installer module (this is why the book is
           written)

   en/tech-info/
           Information on how to customize your own boot floppy,
           what needs to be compiled into the kernel. Some info can
           be reused from the old manual and from the
           debian-installer/doc/docbook/kernel-policy.xml file.

   en/appendix/files.xml
           In part entitled TBD we need to list more files like it
           was done in the old manual.

   en/hardware/ en/install-methods en/boot-installer/
           If booting from USB stick (or any other new method) will
           be in official installer, then we should describe it
           there.

  Update and proofread:
  =====================

   While translating written parts I did some proofreading and
   corrected various typos, but we need to correct _facts_. (I
   haven't worked on anything but i386 machines). Chris did some
   work on Apple computers, so those should be fine.

   Still there are various small bugs all over the manual (like
   mentioning various kernel flavors based on 2.2 kernels). We
   should also shift from the old cruft (like mentioning floppies at
   the _first_ place, comparing to MS-DOS, or being proud Debian
   runs on "new" AMD K6-2).

   en/partitioning/
           General facts should stay there, but *concrete* steps
           from installation should be moved into
           en/module/part*.xml. Also update to d-i way of doing
           things is needed.

   en/boot-new/
           Some of this (the bootloader part (up to "The Moment of
           Truth"?)) should really go into
           en/module/${arch}/*-installer.xml. Next we need to
           review second stage install (base-config didn't change
           so much, but hey, lets be on the safe side). We should
           also check/update references to the menu items.

   en/appendix/files.xml
           Section "Effects of Verbose and Quiet" is clearly
           outdated. Do we have these options in d-i at all?

   en/welcome/doc-organization.xml
           We need small update regarding slightly changed layout
           of the new manual. (Maybe shuffle chapters a bit more
           logicaly. Why is partitioning between using-d-i and
           base-config?)

--
Miroslav Kure