Re: Plurar and Singular

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:08:46AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Have I understood you right, that debian-installer is not able to support
> > ngettext, or is it usable, but not practical?
> I assumed that it would be too complex to try to use ngettext from
> debconf-based shell scripts, because I don't think there's any
> supporting code for this.  But maybe support from the shell isn't needed
> -- I'm not sure if Joey's comments are addressed at this particular
> msgid, or at something else?

Exactly my problem: it seems that at least the templates are not ready for
plural forms (while they have not been needed recently) and so it makes no
sense to introduce anything on my side. Interesting: the KDE translations
seem to have some non-GNU system for the plural forms, which I haven't
looked into yet. So far I have found examples for this in the e2fsckprogs
package - it seems to work good enough and is a standard function of
gettext.

According to gettext manual, ngettext should be supported for shell
scripts, so it should be a matter of replacing the functions where it is
needed, wouldn't it?

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org