Re: Install Report - mkinitrd / cciss error at kernel install step

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:35:23AM -0500, Erik Dykema wrote:
> 	This is my third install report, apoligies for errors, welcome
> correction.  It is similar but more complete (due to the busybox bug
> being fixed) than yesterday's with the same kernel install problem.
> 	Is there an outstanding bug in mkinitrd / initrd-tools that is
> 	causing this?

> INSTALL REPORT

> Debian-installer-version: Jan 09 Daily, from
> http://people.debian.org/~manty/testing/netinst/i386/daily/

> uname -a: Linux hpdemo 2.4.22-1-386 #9 Sat Oct 4 14:30:39 EST 2003 i686
> unknown

> Date: Jan 8, 2004, 11:00am
> Method: sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> Machine: HP DL360 G3
> Processor: 1 Intel Xeon
> Memory: 1024 mb
> Root Device: Smart Array 5i/532 w/ 2 36g scsi drives as raid 0+1 array.
> Root Size/partition table:
> disk1 ext2  34 gigs
> disk5 linux swap 1 gig

> Output of lspci:
> lspci not found

> Base System Installation Checklist:

> Initial boot worked:    [O]
> Configure network HW:   [O]
> Config network:         [O]
> Detect CD:              [O]
> Load installer modules: [O]
> Detect hard drives:     [O]
> Partition hard drives:  [E] * See prev. report
> Create file systems:    [E] * See prev. report
> Mount partitions:       [E] * See prev. report
> Install base system:    [E]
> Install boot loader:    [ ]
> Reboot:                 [ ]
> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

> Comments/Problems:
> 1.  Everything seems to install fine excepting the kernel.  The red
> screen comes up and says that the kernel failed.  I hit alt-f3 to see
> what happened, and find the following:

> Selecting ...
> Unpacking ...
> Selecting ...
> Unpacking kernel-image-2.4.386 (from ...)
> Setting up kernel-image-2.4.23-1-386 (2.4.23-1)
> error reading /lib/modules/2.4.23-1-386/build : No such file or directory
> Deleting /lib/modules/2.4.23-1-386/build
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: constituant device /dev/cciss/disc0/part1 does not exist
> Failed to create initrd image.
> dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.23-1-386 (--configure):
>   subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
> .... etc

> /dev/cciss is the hardware raid device.

> ~ # ls -l /dev/cciss/disc0
> brw--- 1 root root 104, 0 disc
> brw--- 1 root root 104, 1 part1
> brw--- 1 root root 104, 2 part2
> brw--- 1 root root 104, 5 part5

>     Things that seem curious:
>     Why is mkinitd caring about my hardware devices, doesn't it just
> need to see the files in /target?

mkinitrd needs to build an initrd that will be able to find the real
root device after booting.  If /target/dev/cciss doesn't exist, mkinitrd
has nothing to work from to figure out what the correct device is.
IIRC, devfs is not actually used in the target, only in the root; so
probably d-i needs to know how to map /dev/cciss/disc0/partX to a
non-devfs device name (and make sure this mapped device is available in
the target, i.e., MAKEDEV).

>     Why are there 3 partitions, there are only two in cfdisk (ext2,
> swap).  Unless it counts a few megs of free space as another partition.

You seem to have created one primary and one logical (extended)
partition.  part5 would be the first logical partition in a DOS
partition table, and is contained within whichever one of part1 or part2
is the extended partition.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer