Re: sid 12 Avril 2003 CD 1 iso is broken

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 07:13:16AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 03:12:45PM +0200, Eric Valette wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to install sid on my new laptop in order to be able to boot
> > 2.5.68+ kernel after testing it on my desktop. I downlaoded the 12 April
> > 2003 sid iso image, booted from cd started installation.
> >
> > I was able to select the language, then the  keyboard, the cdrom was
> > detected but then when trying to preload from cd and install modules
> > everything went wrong. I get the message :
> > 	Cannot find/execute discover
> >
> > and yes the pacakes has not been preinstalled. Using the shell and
> > trying to install from packages on CD before restarting install, I get
> > other erros because ldconfig is not found (probably should install
> > libc6...).
> >
> > Do anyone has a hint/fix avoiding to use a testing iso and then upgrade
                             ^^^^^^^^          ^^^^^^^

> > (NB I'm a rather experienced debian/linux user).
> >
> > NB : my laptop is an exotic ASUS and I'm home so installing from jiddo
> > or net is painfull...
>
> You understand, don't you, that sid is not a 'distribution'.  It's
> simply a random collection of freshly uploaded, untested, bleeding
> edge software, with dependency issues, bugs, and things that go bump
> in the night.

The ordered list is 'stable', 'testing', 'unstable', 'exprimentel', in
code name is the order list (at this moment) 'woody', 'sarge', 'sarge', 'sid'

If you want to avoid 'testing', use 'stable', at this moment 'woody'

> In short, _no one_ tries to 'install' sid.

Indeed
( and the exception are the people debian-boot  ;-)

Geert Stappers