Re: Can't install on i386 system with LSI 53C1030 SCSI Host driver

Quoting Ryan Lovett <ryan@OCF.Berkeley.EDU>:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 03:33:51PM +0100, Olivier Cappe wrote:
> > I am trying to install Woody on a i386 system which has two SCSI disks
> > that need the Fusion MPT SCSI drivers. RH 8.0 installs correctly on
> > this one and reports
> [snip]
> I had to use bootbf2.4.iso and preload-2.4.20.bin (not
> "2.4.20-modules.bin")
> for the same hardware, but I was able to reboot without trouble. The mpt
> modules had been copied to disk and were loaded during reboot. I did not
> add sg support.
> [snip]

Thank you for your help. You were right about the fact that there are currently
two different sets of preload modules for the 2.4.20 boot floppies available
from http://people.debian.org/~blade/

# md5sum 2.4.20-modules.bin
d7609445a1c57e158e389c07438e8d23  2.4.20-modules.bin
# md5sum preload-2.4.20.bin
09046d577f96f51721aaf67d17ad2e87  preload-2.4.20.bin

Both worked (modules loaded) but I could not go with either of these.

I finally reinstalled RH and did a woody chroot install from there since it was
easier to test various things this way. A posteriori, I wonder whether the
trouble was not simply that I should have added the sd_mod module in the "add
kernel modules" section: mptscsih and mptbase depend only on scsi_mod, whereas
sd_mod was obviously needed in my case to boot from SCSI disks!

I ended up recompiling my own 2.4.20-3woody.1 kernel-source with

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_FUSION=y
CONFIG_FUSION_BOOT=y