Can't install on a P4

Debian 3.0rev1 'Woody' CD set. i386

The Debian installer crashes just past the "boot:<tried all flavors here>"
with a stack fault [un-initialized pointer (*pde=0)]. Then register/stack
dump (I'll have to 'hand-copy' a full screen of garbage, so, I won't until
specifically asked!!). It never gets to the 'menu' mentioned in the DOCs.
After two weeks trying to install win95b(which I didn't really expect to
work) and win98, I'm feeling really burned!!!

Will there be a Pentium 4 version out soon? [I refuse to use win XP!!!]

--BobR
System:
mobo=Abit SR7-8x with Pentium 4 2.4Ghz, 512Meg PC2100 DIMM(yes, I tried the
mem=xxxm with 512, 511, 128, 64 etc. at the boot: prompt)
drives=floppy, 4Gig HD, 3Gig HD, CD ROM(boots OK)
video=Gigabyte AG32S 'Rage 128'
on-mobo= sound, NIC, USB all disabled(tried with enabled)
Tried most BIOS settings, except over-clocking (a no-no in my book<G>)