Re: Why does cfdisk only still speak english? Locales package is missing.

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> I suspected that some magic, needed for using the localization, is not
> done somewhere.

I don't know where the magic is not done but it is that all programs
should be started in the following environment:

LANG=C.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=<language-code>

Here <language-code> can be for example pt, pt_BR or colon-separated
list of languages.  For example LANGUAGE=pt:pt_BF:en_GB means that the
user prefers Portugese.  If there is no Portuguese translation then
Brasilian should be used.  And if there is no Brasilian then the British
should be used.

I did a quick test how performs the udeb-version of cfdisk.  This at
first glance works fine:

LANG=C.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de

However here some strings are missing and cfdisk is mostly useless:

LANG=C.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=fr

I don't know how to correct this but probably someone on debian-i18n
will know.

Anton Zinoviev