Re: ports status update

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 09:55:56AM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:

> >  mipsel: ?
> >  	- I always confuse this with mips, but I think it's having
> > 	  progress made but is a little behind. No recent install
> > 	  reports, no autobuilds, no daily builds (?), no CDs.
>
> AFAIH it's close to autobuilding now.

I have been offline a few days, so I am just working through my mail
backlog...

For autobuilding of mipsel images, we had two major problems to
solve:
- New kernel required in the archive (done)
- New tools (delo/t-rex) required in the archive
  This is being worked on; I have just discovered another problem
  in the package which I hope to fix in the next days.

With builds from my local repository I have succeeded in running a
full netboot installation using d-i, but it currently still requires
running with DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium and manual selection of the
various steps.

There are three things in d-i which are severely broken for mipsel:

- d-i just hangs when one uses serial console and selects anything
  else than US-English in languagechooser. I have just found a bug
  in the console detection code, but fixing this does not solve the
  hangs, so there is still something else broken.

- kbd-chooser is broken for mipsel
  * kbd-chooser does not properly handle systems running serial
    console. Even though there is no keymap to select, d-i always
    goes back to kbd-chooser because no keyboard was selected
  * strange segfaults for which I cannot find a reason
  * mipsel does not yet have loadable keymaps. In general, it
    is possible, but currently there is only one keymap layout, i.e.
    the kernel default keymap (LK201-US). Because of the lack of
    different keymap layouts there is no mipsel keymap in console-data,
    but the user has to select something when kbd-chooser is run
    and there is no "just keep the kernel keymap" option.

- there seems to be a problem with the signal handling in busybox
  on mipsel, but I currently cannot provide an always reproducible
  test case.

Regards,
Karsten
--