Re: my experiences withthe new Debian installer

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> enabling shadow passwords question is expert friendly but if there's
> ever a streamlined path, just assume a yes.

FWIW the next release of the installer will not ask about shadow
passwords and will generally be much less verbose in the whole second
stage by default.

> the X11 install is still as (un)friendly as ever.  I have been spoiled
> by the likes of Xandros and Windows because they just figure out what
> video card is present without requiring someone to pull the top of the
> system, and intuit video card profile from either the remnants of
> silkscreening or an FCC ID number.  Remember, I'm using a Frankenstein
> box here.  My selection process for video card was minimum dust and a 15
> pin connector on the back that fits a video cable.  I don't believe my
> junk box has a video card that was manufactured before 1997.  And yes,
> Windows 2000 and Xandros both properly identified the card but, bright
> person that I am, I forgot to it write down.
>
> so now I have my boot prompt, X doesn't run because I didn't even try to
> get the settings right.

This could be a lack of read-edid and mdetect, I have not tried to go
all the way and install X, so I'm not sure if base-config properly
installs them first or not.

--
see shy jo