Re: debian-installer anyone?

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 05:54:15PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:47:18AM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
>
> | I don't know where the arm kernel went [1]
> [...]
> | [1] Sven: let it go
>
> Why?  My understanding from Sven's frequent rants is that the PPC
> kernels required to support a particular architecture - the one which
> Sven himself uses, and presumably other Debian users too - has been held
> up in the queue for a month and a half, while those capable of accepting
> it have said nothing about the issue.  I know that if I was in Sven's
> position, I'd certainly be fuming at people too.  I'd also be rather
> annoyed if after raising what i considered to be an important problem
> was told to "let it go".
>
> Since I've seen quite a few posts criticising Sven here, I'll chip in
> with my bit (little as it may be worth in some people's eyes, coming
> from a non-DD) and say that I agree with him, something /does/ need to
> be done about the kernel packages and should ideally happen before the
> new beta in a couple of weeks time.

I also agree with Sven that it is not nice to not get a message
why or what is going on with an uploaded package.

Where I wrote

  [1] Sven: let it go

I should have wrote

  [1] Sven: let it go, don't spend your energy on frustrating things.

And I was expecting a reply like

 | | I don't know where the arm kernel went [1]
 | It sits beside the powerpc kernel packages.
 | If none cares, why should I care. I have a running arm system.

Or any other message that tells what is going on.

It would be good if some one else then Sven would told debian-boot.
That was the other reason for

  [1] Sven: let it go

> ObOnTopic:  what's the current status of d-i on Alpha?  I have an alpha
> machine that could be used for testing it... it's currently running
> woody so presumably I'd have to change that before being able to build
> and test the installer?

AFAIK it is a fairly good state.
Kernels and other udebs are in the Debian archives.
Goswin and Steve Langasek did some tests on alpha,
more testreports on alpha are appriciated.

> Cheers,
>
> Cameron.

Geert Stappers