Re: Proposal for languagechooser and language list

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 03:33:43PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:25:26AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> | > As long as this refers to the C locale (which would also be first if
> | > sorted alphabetically by locale name -- using the C locale's sort rules,
> | > that is :), that seems ok.  If it's en_US or en_UK people are after,

> | Yes, that's what I meant. Your suggestion of "International english"
> | is the best idea, imho.

> | Regional english dialects such as those spoken in the US colonies
> | sitting near western Europe may of course be listed at their place.

> And those in the antipodean colonies of that US colony will of course be
> listed before either, as en_AU comes before en_US and en_UK :-)

> Out of curiosity, what is the difference (if any) between "International
> English" (C) and en_US?

Chitlins.  (For flavour.)

I would expect text written for a C locale to tend to have a simplified
grammar compared to equivalent text written for one of the national en_*
variants.  It also can't be compelled to follow the spelling rules of
any of the national locales.  And, depending on how the language
selection for the installer interfaces with the rest of the locale
system, it could also have an effect on the charset in use.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer