Re: sarge INSTALL REPORT - how set IP & hostname?

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> It seems like it found my hardware fine: the ethernet card
> works and DHCP gets automatically configured.
> BUT: I don't want DHCP - I am missing the question where I
> can specify my static IP.
> Also I always ended up with hostname being 'localhost'.

You need to boot in expert mode, with DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low added to the
boot line at the boot prompt, then you'll be able to tell it to skip
dhcp and do a manual entry.

I think that not noticing that dhcp didn't provide a hostname, and not
prompting manually for one is a bug in our netcfg program.

> Often after reboot I can't read the CDROM drive anymore -
> I can fix that with modconf by deinstalling the scsi-ide
> module.

Please send details about what model of CD drive you have. I have also
seen this with my new test laptop (kindly provided courtesy of Linux
Certified, Inc, plug plug), but more data points would be good.

> Is there a command to set the network configuration
> afterwards ? And change the hostname ?

Not currently, there is a bug on base-config asking for this. You'll
have to grep and sed in /etc.

--
see shy jo