Netinst feedback

All,

After using RedHat for several years, I'm finally fed up with their
chronic ignoring of bug-reports from non-enterprise customers and the
recent moves torwards per-seat licensing were the last straw...

I won't dwell upon what a horror my first Debian experience (woody) was,
you've all heard it enough to motivate the new installer.  Which is why
I'm writing this.

I screwed up my courage to take another chance at Debian, using the new
netinst CD.  This is definitely a good step forward, but there are some
issues I wanted to report.  Until I get comfortable with it, I begin by
bringing up a new distro as a VMware guest running under a RedHat 8.0 host
and all comments below are relative that environment.  I opted for the
'test' (sarge) installation, since woody is hopelessly backlevel for
almost anything I'd need to run:

o Even though I had specified a small /boot partition during disk
partitioning, Grub was incorrectly setting root to (hd1,1), which is my /
partition.  Edited command line from grub startup, then fixed
/boot/grub/menu.lst accordingly.

o The installer created /usr/X11R6/bin with 0700 permissions, which neatly
prevented a non-root user from running anything X-related.  Took quite a
while to figure out what was going on.  A simple chmod fixed it.

o The base system does not probe for IDE devices, rendering the VMware
CD-ROM device inaccessible.  I had to manually modprobe ide-detect after
booting.  I'm unfamiliar with module configuration under Debian, so I'm
not sure where to request that this be loaded on a persistent basis.

o User KDE session cannot produce sound unless permissions for
/dev/sequencer and /dev/dsp are changed to 0777.  This also begs the
question of why a GNU/Debian installer chooses KDE as the default (I
didn't ask for it, and expected Gnome).

o The default X display driver for VMware guests cannot properly render
antialiased fonts, e.g. the main menubar popup shows all entries blank
until the mouse is moved over them.  Installing the latest VMware X driver
from the VMware tools package fixed this, although their installation
script hosed X completely until I renamed the original (which VMware
modifies to XF86Config-4.BeforeVmware) back to XF86Config-4.  This is
certainly not a Debian issue, but it would be helpful to include a current
display driver by default.

o Line drawing characters do not seem available to 'mc' when run in
konsole.  Works fine from an xterm or rxvt window.  I've never seem this
in other KDE environments.

I poked at the Debian bug report system, but couldn't fathom how or where
to enter this feedback.  Hopefully, sending it to this list is not too out
of line.

Steve