Re: Netinst feedback

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> o Even though I had specified a small /boot partition during disk
> partitioning, Grub was incorrectly setting root to (hd1,1), which is my /
> partition.  Edited command line from grub startup, then fixed
> /boot/grub/menu.lst accordingly.

I think we have several reports of the grub installation getting this
wrong, that is one of the reasons grub was not the default boot loader
for the beta release. I assume you used a recent daily build and not the
beta.

> o The installer created /usr/X11R6/bin with 0700 permissions, which neatly
> prevented a non-root user from running anything X-related.  Took quite a
> while to figure out what was going on.  A simple chmod fixed it.

What part of the installer? I don't think d-i installs anything X
related, that is deferred until after the reboot. It is probably some
broken package, it would be useful if you could track down which one and
file a bug report. It will be the first package that was installed that
created that directory, most likely.

> o The base system does not probe for IDE devices, rendering the VMware
> CD-ROM device inaccessible.  I had to manually modprobe ide-detect after
> booting.  I'm unfamiliar with module configuration under Debian, so I'm
> not sure where to request that this be loaded on a persistent basis.

Known problem, and I'm not sure which package to pass the buck on to either
unfortunatly.

> o User KDE session cannot produce sound unless permissions for
> /dev/sequencer and /dev/dsp are changed to 0777.  This also begs the
> question of why a GNU/Debian installer chooses KDE as the default (I
> didn't ask for it, and expected Gnome).

The proper way to get sound working for a user is to add that user to
the audio group. Unless you don't care of course.

Debian is desktop environment agnostic, and installs both.

> o The default X display driver for VMware guests cannot properly render
> antialiased fonts, e.g. the main menubar popup shows all entries blank
> until the mouse is moved over them.  Installing the latest VMware X driver
> from the VMware tools package fixed this, although their installation
> script hosed X completely until I renamed the original (which VMware
> modifies to XF86Config-4.BeforeVmware) back to XF86Config-4.  This is
> certainly not a Debian issue, but it would be helpful to include a current
> display driver by default.

I suggest you send in a bug report on the xfree86 package, or post to
the debian-x mailing list.

> o Line drawing characters do not seem available to 'mc' when run in
> konsole.  Works fine from an xterm or rxvt window.  I've never seem this
> in other KDE environments.

And this as a bug against konsole or the debian-kde list.

--
see shy jo