Re: dhcp idea

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> How's this for an idea for dhcp. If priority is high, then run dhcp, but
> in the background, and only for 30 seconds (or some better chosen time
> that is long enough for most dhcp servers to reply, and short enough to
> not annoy people with no dhcp).
>
> Check to see if an interface is up now. If not, ask the user if they
> want to try harder, or fall back to a manual network setup.
>
> If the user decides to go on with dhcp, go into a loop of checking again
> for an interface to be up, and checking to make sure the dhcp client is
> still running. If the client exits w/o bringing up an interface, fail as
> it does now. If an interface comes up, succeed.
>
> If the user chooses to do a manual config instead, then kill the dhcp
> client, and run netcfg-static.

Why not merge dhcp and static?

Try dhcp for some time or until the user hits abort.
If dhcp finds any data seed it into debconf and jump to the final
summary/acknowldege request in dhcp-static. Buttons there would be

I realy don't like two programs configuring the same in two ways.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I think 5 seconds is ample time for dhcp to respond the first time around.