Re: discover2 packages for debian-installer

[Gaudenz Steinlin]
> Please try to build from a clean system without libexpat1-dev and
> without libdiscover2-pic and libdiscover2-dev. Probably it is also a
> good idea to remove all discover1 packages to prevent weird mklibs
> inferences there.

I removed all discover-related packages on my build system, and
installed only libdiscover2 (and its dependency discover-data), and
removed the libdiscover1(-pic) entries from build/debian/control.

This time I was able to build the floppy, and it seemed to work just
fine when I tested it.  The HW lists in discover-data seem to be a bit
shorter then the old list, so only the USB controller was recognized
in my VMWare system, but this is a good start. :)

The working packages are available from
<URL:http://www.soziologie.ch/~steinlin/d-i/discover2/>.  There are
probably lots of stuff left to fix before the packages are useful as
discover1 replacements, but at least it is not crashing any more, and
actually reporting modules to load.

So, how do we proceed from here?  I would like to be able to keep
building the "official" d-i floppies with discover1, while we at the
same time upload new packages into the archive making it possible to
test discover2 by changing the d-i package lists while building the
floppies.  This mean that we need to have separate udebs for discover
and discover-data for version 1 and 2.  The new installer is releasing
the first beta tomorrow, and it is too late to replace discover1 with
discover2 without making sure the new version is as good as the old
one.

Should Gaudenz Steinlin take over Debian maintenance of discover
version 2?  The reason I ask, is that we haven't heard anything from
the Progeny maintainers for months.  If Progeny want to actively
maintain discover2 in Debian, that is good, but if not, we need to
find another solution.  Gaudenz is in the NM queue at the moment, but
is also active with d-i development.

Do you have other suggestions?

(Martin, please try to make sure someone in Progeny give this some
priority. :)