Re: Install report for Sony Vaio PCG-5211

Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> to insert the second floppy, but the laptop was basically dead at this point.
> mvrn from #debian-boot helped out: I booted with BOOT_DEBUG=3 and inserted
> the second boot floppy in the debugshell after hardware detection. Then it
> worked out very smooth.
>

> If I do not change the floppy in the debugshell, the problem becomes obvious:
>
> During the first
>
> mount /dev/floppy/o -o ro -tvfat floppy
>
> I get a
>
> Unable to handle kernel NULL ponter dereference at virtual address 000000ff
> [..]
>
> Then after the 5 sleep seconds the installation hangs at the second call of
>
> mount /dev/floppy/o -o ro -tvfat floppy
>

> Though it is somehow cool, if the user only needs the change the floppy
> without doing anything, I recommand to ask the user to change floppy and hit
> the enter button, this would be a very save workaround for this issue.

Thank you for your report, it's very helpful and explains some similar
reports I got about kernel hangs when loading the second floppy.

I wish the kernel were a bit more robust in this area. :-(
I really don't understand why mounting the first floppy, which is there
and has a valid filesystem on it, should crash the kernel.

I'll think about adding a prompt, it is of course doable (even for USB
keyboards I think), but kinda annoying.

--
see shy jo