Re: [WOODY] Need sugestion for Floppy-Install

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 05:04:35PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working since 03/1999 with Debian successfuly. For some month
> I have lost my last Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Workstation (I have
> never had Win32) by a lightning-stroke and now I am M$-Free.
>
> I am working on a very difficult Job in near east ans need the
> Floppy-Installation.
>
> For SLINK 2.1r5 it was no problem... 7 Base-Floppys and 73 Packages
> Floppys.
>
> Now I have tried it with WOODY but it does not work because
> dpkg-scanpackages...
>
> The Version of SLINK was supporting the X-Medium Flag and if I have
> registerd all Floppys apt-get was asking about the numbered Floppy.
>
> Now in WOODY it does not work anymore...
>
> OK, I can register all Floppys, but when I install somthing, it tell
> me to put the Floppy in... I habe 140 Floppys - Where ist the *.deb ?
>
> The Other thing I have tried is to make the whole Directory tree, a
> Packages- and Release-File and add the 'X-Medium: ' manualy to it.
> Unfortunately the 'X-Medium:' is not recognised by WOODY.
>
> Question:
> =========
>
> Is there a solution like the CD-Rom Installation which ask for a
> numberd Medium ? or must I port dpkg-scanpackages for WOODY ?
> Maybe staticaly linked ??`?
>
> I was thinking to make for each Floppy a Packages- and Release-File
> and put all 280 Files in a Package which installs in /var/lib/apt/lists
> So no one must make the DJ after installing the BASE to register the
> other 114 Floppys...

And I thought you were _kidding_.

Wouldn't it be easier to set up an old hard drive with the stuff
you need and hook it up to the secondary IDE? Much faster than
reading 114 floppies, one at a time.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People