Re: Problem in debian-installer-demo

Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> I've downloaded debian-installer-demo via apt-get, installed and tried
> to run.
> First try, with a normal user: "It needs root..."
> OK. root now.
> Trying again, in a rxvt terminal on WindowMaker:
>
> # d-i-demo
>
> <Choose The Language>
> Selected Portuguese (Brazil). One problem (well, a small problem) is
> that the languages are not sorted alphabetically.

Yeah, this is bug #215210. You were running it in an xterm; if you run
it instead on the linux console you'll get a different and better
display of that list that is closer to how it appears in the real
installer. (Depending on the kernel you're running and whether the frame
buffer modules work.)

> Pressed <Continue> and a big blue screen appeared on my rxvt terminal.
> No, it is not Windoze! :-)
> It just stayed there, without doing nothing. Opening another terminal
> and using "top", I saw:
>
> 25576 root      25   0  6032 6032  584 R 97.8  67.0   0:03.23 frontend
>
> It was eating all my CPU and my memory! Then my RAM finished and it
> started to swap.  It was getting so slow that started to be impossible
> of making anything.
> And there was no response from d-i-demo
> I had to click on the smal X on the right corner to close, because
> CTRL+C or any other thing was working.
>
> So, what is wrong? I, d-i-demo, both?

Somehow picking pt_BR breaks it. I can reproduce it, but only with that
language (and pt_PT); English and all other languages I tried work ok.
cdebconf is just mallocing more and more memory. It also only happens in
X, not at the console. I've filed a bug on cdebconf.

--
see shy jo