Re: Minimal powerpc kernel, miboot users please test (Was Re: modularized powerpc kernel)

Am Mit, den 29.10.2003 schrieb Sven Luther um 13:57:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:22:58AM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > > BTW, the -powerpc kernel fails to boot on my pegasos system, but this is
> > > probably due to devfs. Do you all run devfs with its cryptic device
> > > paths, or is there some other trick to it ? The kernel stops after
> > > having mounted the root partition, first it takes some time to do the
> > > clock stuff, and finally times out, and then halts. I suppose this is
> > > due because it doesn't find my non-devfs fstab or something such.
> > Did you set CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT in your kernel config? You don't need
> > that for debian-installer.
> > Normal installations should not run devfs at all (it will not be the
> > default for sarge) or use devfsd which takes care of compatibility
> > symlinks and permissions.
>
> No, it was not set.
>
> BTW, are you sure it is not needed ? Peter said to me it is needed some
> time back, i think, and this maybe why the builtin initrd refuse to boot ?

Quite sure (Petter please comment if I'm wrong). The typical symptom if
devfs is not mounted is "Unable to open initial console" not unable to
mount the initrd. You probaly have to pass devfs=mount to your kernel if
you boot the installer, although there is also code to mount it in
/sbin/init.

Some time ago I had to pass root=/dev/rd/0 to start the installer
because of the transistion from /linuxrc to /sbin/init, but I'm not sure
if this is correct.

/gaudenz