Re: Minimal powerpc kernel, miboot users please test (Was Re: modularized powerpc kernel)

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:42:22AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Am Fre, den 24.10.2003 schrieb Chris Tillman um 08:15:
> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 06:14:29PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>

> > Aha! I got a working kernel. I guess I know more than I think I do :)
> >
> > Here is the diff for the config, from your -small config. I really
> > don't know which of these were essential, I ended up with only 59k
> > free space on the floppy. But I guess that's enough.
> For now it is. Altough I think most of the options you enabled are not
> necessary. Could you test, if the keyboard also works for loading the
> initrd when you only enable these two settings:
> > -CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=m
> > -CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=m
> > +CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
> > +CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y

I tried several times to make kernels witha smaller set of options,
but they all failed to boot, or else panicked after booting. I guess I
got very lucky the first time. I'm sure we must not need IDE and SCSI
drivers, but I didn't have any luck with the them left out.

I still had no luck with the 9500, either. The 2.2.20 kernel boots,
but all 2.4 kernels give the same result: the video is not switched on
in Linux. Many of the 2.4 kernels boot, I can type in my root login
and 'reboot' blind, and the computer reboots. But they don't drive
video. The 9500 is different from many Macs in that its video board is
not built-in, but instead hangs off the PCI bus. This may have
something to do with the problem.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People