Re: powerpc d-i build

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 09:54:54PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > Since all autobuild CDs have stoped working could we do the switch
> > over to the new build scripts now?
>
> I have reverted my change that apparently broke the CD builds. I am
> still waiting to hear back why the CDs need the cdrom-initrd.gz (and on
> which arches), and why the floppy-initrd.gz matters at all. Until I do,
> I will not be uploading the debian-installer package to the archive.
>
> But, no, I don't think there is any logical connection between "a 1 line
> change broke CD building temporarily" and "let's break everything for an
> unspecified period of time".

Well, please enable build of powerpc images on something else than just
pmac then. It doesn't make sense to keep using a maybe older build
system but which is only able to build for a limited set of
architectures/subarchitectures, while development has gone into adding
support in the new branch. If we reasoned like this, we would still be
using boot-floppies today.

> We're supposed to be trying to get a release out.

The current debian-installer is not near releasable, as the total loss
of my hardisk on friday has demostrated. Nobody seems to care though
that it is well possible that debian-installer will eat partition tables
and start formating random partitions (or maybe it was the whole disk
even). At least there was almost null feedback on the bugreport i
filled, not even an aknowledgement of autopartkit upstream.

Friendly,

Sven Luther