Re: i18n of main-menu and Packages

[Kenshi Muto]
> I'm testing debian-installer, but found some problems about
> localize messages.

I just noticed that no one replied to your message.  Some of the
issues you brought up are fixed, as we moved the translation of menu
entries to templates, while others are yet to be solved.

> 4. Build tool makes reduced UTF font for bogl-term, but checks only
>    /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates and some English characters (using by
>    `strings' tool. This tool doesn't recognize UTF-8 character).
>    /var/lib/dpkg/status isn't be checked. so if we includes
>    Description-LL into udeb merely, some of character will be missing.
>
> 5. Moreover, this font check works only very small first stage of
>    debian-installer. Debian-installer dynamically loads installer
>    packages and show menu (retrieved from Packages file of
>    debian-installer apt-line), but some of their strings will be
>    missing. The contents of Packages file depends on architecture.
>
> Do you have a good idea?

These two are still unsolved, as far as I know.  I have no idea how to
extract UTF-8 strings like 'strings' do on binaries.

One idea for the bterm font problem is to teach bterm do detect when a
new bterm-unifont package is installed, and to start using this new
and complete font file when this happen.  I'm not sure how easy that
is.