Re: i18n of main-menu and Packages

Hi,

At 23 Oct 03 08:05:52 GMT,
Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Kenshi Muto]
> > I'm testing debian-installer, but found some problems about
> > localize messages.
>
> I just noticed that no one replied to your message.  Some of the

Thanks.

> issues you brought up are fixed, as we moved the translation of menu
> entries to templates, while others are yet to be solved.
>
> > 4. Build tool makes reduced UTF font for bogl-term, but checks only
> >    /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates and some English characters (using by
> >    `strings' tool. This tool doesn't recognize UTF-8 character).
> >    /var/lib/dpkg/status isn't be checked. so if we includes
> >    Description-LL into udeb merely, some of character will be missing.
> >
> > 5. Moreover, this font check works only very small first stage of
> >    debian-installer. Debian-installer dynamically loads installer
> >    packages and show menu (retrieved from Packages file of
> >    debian-installer apt-line), but some of their strings will be
> >    missing. The contents of Packages file depends on architecture.
> >
> > Do you have a good idea?
>
> These two are still unsolved, as far as I know.  I have no idea how to

Yes. I'm just testing debian-installer built from CVS, and find these
problems are left (such as partitioner messages).

> extract UTF-8 strings like 'strings' do on binaries.
>
> One idea for the bterm font problem is to teach bterm do detect when a
> new bterm-unifont package is installed, and to start using this new
> and complete font file when this happen.  I'm not sure how easy that
> is.

Hmm.
I tried to convert /usr/src/unifont.bdf to unifont.bgf by bdftobogl,
then bgf file size is 22228410 bytes. This looks too big for installer.

And, dynamic font loading needs restart bterm (and it may cause a
problem), doesn't it?

My poor idea is:
- We provide build/foo-<language code>.utf (such as foo-ja.utf,
foo-kr.utf, etc...) and apply additional (dynamic loaded) messages
into these files.
- Then merge them into all-*.utf by build/Makefile.
--
Kenshi Muto
kmuto@debian.org