Re: what can I do for debian installer for Alpha?

[ No need to CC me, I'm subscribed to debian-boot. ]

On Oct 18, Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
 > Neil Roeth <neil@debian.org> writes:
 >
 > > Hi, I have an Alpha machine (XP1000) currently running woody.  I'd
 > > like to be of some help in getting the new installer working
 > > properly on this architecture.  How can I best do that?  Is now a
 > > good time to get involved, or is it still too early?
 >
 > Do you have an SRM console? Do you boot aboot or milo?

SRM, aboot

 > If its SRM (which means you can be using aboot) try one of:
 >
 > rsync -avP mrvn.homeip.net::debian-installer/latest/alpha/

OK, I did this, got different errors.  I'll look into it a bit myself, then
send on the messages if I cannot figure it out quickly.

 > Milo support is not yet done due to the lack of milo udebs. You could
 > try to build a milo and debianize the source. I tried and couldn't get
 > it to work properly.
 >
 > > I think I have enough time to do test installs and more debugging of
 > > problems I encounter than Joe Average user, but I am not at all
 > > familiar with how the installer works.  It's easy for me to create
 > > an install CD using jigdo.  I've done that already.  Installing with
 > > it did not get far.  Should I just start posting messages about the
 > > problems I encounter to this list, or file bugs, or both?
 >
 > At the moment I would like to know if the cds boot at all.  If they do
 > and installation report is welcome. You will probably encounter errors
 > related to whats on the CDs, like suport for scsi is missing or
 > similar. Just tell the list or me to get it added.

It booted, but died very early, while trying to mount the ramdisk, rd/0.  (If
this sounds familiar, it's because I posted it to debian-alpha.)   Any ideas?
I'm still looking into this one.

RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384k size 1024k blocksize
.
.
.
Freeing initrd memory: 2249k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
VFS: Cannot open root device "rd/0" or 00:00

 > On the other hand if you find a bug in a specific module like
 > base-installer fails silently better report it as bug against the
 > package, which will end up here too but you get a notice when the bug
 > is closed.

OK, thanks.

--
Neil Roeth