Re: what can I do for debian installer for Alpha?

Neil Roeth <neil@debian.org> writes:

> Hi, I have an Alpha machine (XP1000) currently running woody.  I'd
> like to be of some help in getting the new installer working
> properly on this architecture.  How can I best do that?  Is now a
> good time to get involved, or is it still too early?

Do you have an SRM console? Do you boot aboot or milo?

If its SRM (which means you can be using aboot) try one of:

rsync -avP mrvn.homeip.net::debian-installer/latest/alpha/

Milo support is not yet done due to the lack of milo udebs. You could
try to build a milo and debianize the source. I tried and couldn't get
it to work properly.

> I think I have enough time to do test installs and more debugging of
> problems I encounter than Joe Average user, but I am not at all
> familiar with how the installer works.  It's easy for me to create
> an install CD using jigdo.  I've done that already.  Installing with
> it did not get far.  Should I just start posting messages about the
> problems I encounter to this list, or file bugs, or both?

At the moment I would like to know if the cds boot at all.  If they do
and installation report is welcome. You will probably encounter errors
related to whats on the CDs, like suport for scsi is missing or
similar. Just tell the list or me to get it added.

On the other hand if you find a bug in a specific module like
base-installer fails silently better report it as bug against the
package, which will end up here too but you get a notice when the bug
is closed.

If you want to build your own images read for a start:
New images build script - call for testing round 2
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200310/msg01097.html

MfG
        Goswin