Re: USB Floppy

Shah wrote:
> > Do you know that this USB floppy drive is in fact supported by linux?
> > I own one that is, and one that is not.
>
> Its the one the Sony Vaio's use: PCGA-UFD5.  According to linux-usb.org
> its supported.

The one I have that I have never got to work is from a sony picturebook.
Don't have the model # handy.

> When I tried this, the floppy drive spun for a bit, but the install
> wouldn't continue.  Will it detect the disk and keep going?  Or is there
> some key I'm supposed to press?  I just hit enter and it still just sat
> there printing dots to the screen.

That sounds like linux may have seen the floppy to some degree. Hard to
tell, it may also just do that whenever it's plugged in.

> > A more complicated thing to try is, at the boot: prompt, enter
> > "linux BOOT_DEBUG=5"
> > This will produce a very verbose bootup, and it will drop you into a
> > shell at several points (just exit the shell to keep going). There is a
> > program called usb-discover that tries to detect your USB and load the
> > right module to support it. You can try running that, or modprobing the
> > appropriate kernel modules by hand. If your floppy is detected by the
> > kernel, /dev/scsi will be populated with a set of directories and
> > devices. If you have that tree, this is not a USB detection problem, but
> > something else.
>
> Trying this now...

If you're on irc in the next half hour or so, I am joeyh on
irc.debian.org, and I will be happy to help with debugging live.

--
see shy jo