Re: USB Floppy

Shah wrote:
> I just got a new laptop (Toshiba R100) and I thought I'd give the new
> debian-installer a try.  The laptop only has a USB floppy drive and I'm
> having trouble getting the installer to start.  I dowloaded the
> bootfloppy image, the floppy image, and the net_drivers image and tried
> booting with those. The first floppy boots fine, but it can't find the
> second floppy... Is there anything I can try to get it going?

Which versions of them did you download? The bootfloppy should have USB
support. Maybe it just cannot find your USB host adaptor or something.

Do you know that this USB floppy drive is in fact supported by linux?
I own one that is, and one that is not.

It's possible that this is a usb hotplug issue, so one very easy thing
to try is boot up, unplug your floppy, and plug it back in. This may be
necessary for the kernel to notice it's there.

A more complicated thing to try is, at the boot: prompt, enter
"linux BOOT_DEBUG=5"
This will produce a very verbose bootup, and it will drop you into a
shell at several points (just exit the shell to keep going). There is a
program called usb-discover that tries to detect your USB and load the
right module to support it. You can try running that, or modprobing the
appropriate kernel modules by hand. If your floppy is detected by the
kernel, /dev/scsi will be populated with a set of directories and
devices. If you have that tree, this is not a USB detection problem, but
something else.

--
see shy jo