Re: Install report

On Thursday 16 October 2003 01:01, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> I chose to configure the network using DHCP.  This left me at a screen
> where my only choice was

What I meant to say was that after configuring using DHCP I had a screen where
the only option was continue, it didn't tell me things had been successfully
configured (IIRC) and it definitely didn't show any of the DHCP settings that
were being used.  A little additional feedback here would be *very* useful.

> After exiting the detecting network hardware section I am *always* placed
> back in the language selection menu.

This happened with quite a few menus, after exiting I'd be plunked right into
language selection as if I'd hit an extra ENTER but I could swear that I did
not do so.  It would be nice if the menu system remembered what you'd already
done and tried to always place your cursor on the next most obvious menu
item.

> When first trying to partition harddrive nothing seemed to be happening,
> pressing enter moved the screen up a line but didn't wake anything up.
> After 2-3 minutes I pressed CTRL-C.  I had done the full hardware detection
> prior ...

This happened every time (2 or 3 installs).  First try no disk appears to be
available for partitioning, second try everything is fine ... despite not
having done any extra detection (or *anything* else) between attempts.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux