Re: Proposed build system

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:38:50PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 09:46, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:31:03AM +0200, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > on the way to a build system that enables us to use the current buildd
> > > infrastructure for d-i images, I checked in a preliminary proposal into
> > > cvs.
> > >
> > > I placed it under build/debian_proposed because it discards most of the
> > > old build system. It is quite simple:
> > >
> > > - Stick with the idea of having a source package that builds the images.
> > >
> > > - Place the images into .debs to not interfere with the current archive
> > > layout and allow for easy integration with the current buildd system
> > >
> > > - Make a package for every TYPE we support. If a TYPE is not working on
> > > a specific arch, do not include that arch in the Architecture line.
> > >
> > > Please try it out and give some comments. Bear in mind that it is
> > > probably far from finished. I want some feedback on the idea before I go
> > > into details.
> >
> > Ok, this sounds fine, but how are you going to handle powerpc/chrp
> > images for example, which need to have the initrd embedded in the kernel ?
> We could only build the initrd images for these archs and the kernel
> would have to be built with these images afterwards. Does anybody know
> how this is done with the current boot-floppies?
>
> The image target (which builds a floppy image) is not meaningfull for
> every arch and every boot method. That i386 emulates floppys for cd
> booting is a special case, not a general way of booting from cds. So if
> we want to have a deb for all cases we should not only differentiate by
> installation method (TYPE= cdrom, netboot, bootfloppy) but also by boot
> method (cdrom, floppy, tftp, ...).

Well, i don't know how boot-floppies did it, when i adapted
boot-floppies to the pegasos, i generated the root.bin, and
built the kernel myself using it. It did not contained any code to
install the modules though, so ...

But see my other mail about this issue, basically, i could generate a
kernel-build package, with the whole built tree used to build the
kernels, and this could be used to generate the initrd images.

Friendly,

Sven Luther