Re: Proposed build system

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:31:03AM +0200, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on the way to a build system that enables us to use the current buildd
> infrastructure for d-i images, I checked in a preliminary proposal into
> cvs.
>
> I placed it under build/debian_proposed because it discards most of the
> old build system. It is quite simple:
>
> - Stick with the idea of having a source package that builds the images.
>
> - Place the images into .debs to not interfere with the current archive
> layout and allow for easy integration with the current buildd system
>
> - Make a package for every TYPE we support. If a TYPE is not working on
> a specific arch, do not include that arch in the Architecture line.
>
> Please try it out and give some comments. Bear in mind that it is
> probably far from finished. I want some feedback on the idea before I go
> into details.

Ok, this sounds fine, but how are you going to handle powerpc/chrp
images for example, which need to have the initrd embedded in the kernel ?

I asked about this before, but it seems nobody cares.

There may be a solution, and that is that i build a kernel-build or
something package, which would contain the result of the built kernel,
as i hear they do on x86, and then, that this is used for building the
zImage.initrd. Does this sound reasonable ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther