Re: Menu items consistency (was Re: Start using new SETTITLE cdebconf command)

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:38:16PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 10:30:49AM +0200, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> > tis 2003-09-30 klockan 07.44 skrev Denis Barbier:
> > > Some menu items contain a verb, other are noun forms.  Should all items
> > > be consistent in English?
> >
> > I think they should be consistent, and I think they should be verb
> > phrases, just like button texts in a GUI should be. Please file bugs
> > (preferrably with patches :) on packages that don't have verb phrases.
>
> Sorry I am not that confident with my writing English ;)
> Those titles should certainly be reviewed by an English native speaker,
> as did Chris Tillman days ago for templates files.  But the sooner
> the better, so that translators have more time to work on them.

I looked at the existing items with 'main-menu' in the name, and they
all use verbs (I agree with Martin). There were only a half-dozen,
though.  I'll be aware of this when I'm testing the powerpc builds.

The items with 'title' in the name are dialog box titles and progress
bar titles, which are appropriate either with nouns or with present
progressive tense verbs, like 'FooBar Installation' or 'Installing
Foos and Bars'.

Appropriate in English, anyway ...

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System