Re: new installer

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:01:23AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> > For systems which doesn't support devfs there is a devfs wrapper, which
> > handle such archs.

devfs is obsolete, its use should be removed from debian-installer.
in all cases where i found lazy abuse of devfs as some sort of
hardware database you could use a discover call instead.

once devfs abuse is removed i didn't see much of anything stopping use
of a standard 2.2 kernel, those fit on floppies.

> I have some that can be used for testing, but don't understand all
> that might be needed to make it work. Two things right off the bat,
> though:
>
> 1) Oldworlds need proprietary code to boot CDs, and normally need to
> install from a 1.44 floppy, but the standard 2.4 image doesn't fit; and

yup, use 2.2.  2.4 also is problematic on some oldworlds, 2.2 is quite
reliable.  use 2.4 on newworld.

> 2) yaboot doesn't work -- quik is the free solution for booting.
> BootX can be used to boot from a MacOS installation, but many people
> prefer not to have MacOS installed or don't have system disks.

many people don't HAVE macos period, a great many of the oldworld
installs i see on irc are people with a oldworld that has no OS, and
no macos CDs.  you CANNOT assume they have macos, a great many don't.

> At one time there were plans to support oldworlds in yaboot, but I
> haven't heard any news lately; there are no announcements at the
> yaboot website regarding it AFAIK.

yaboot 2.0 is currently stalled because i need more skilled coders to
volunteer to help.  at this stage it looks unlikly there will be a
yaboot 2.0 in time for sarge (or even the next debian release after
that it looks like).  volunteers could change that, contact me if
interested, note that knowledge of OpenFirmware is not necessary, nor
of low level kernel bootstrapping, or even of the powerpc
architecture, the current problems don't have anything to do with
either.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/