Re: d-i minimum system requirements

Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any speculation on what the minimum system
> requirements for d-i are.
>
> Is 4MB, 8MB, 12MB enough ram? How close are things to any real RAM limit?

More like 32 mb. There is a cool hack involving LVM and a live cd
filesystem that should reduce this to the 8 mb range.

> The current kernel used should make d-i usable on a 386 and newer for ia32
> arches due to math emulation being turned on?

Dunno.

> Does the installer require a CD-ROM drive or a network connection? I.e.
> does the cd install work, and can one install via floppy disks? If it is
> possible to install via floppy disks, what is the minimum requirements for
> the disks? Single sided, single density?

The CD install works and is the best supported install currently. One
can also install via:

- boot floppy(s) and cdrom
- netboot and network
- floppy(s) and network (currently broken; out of space)
- usb storage device (in theory, too difficult to boot it though)
- pile of floppies

Minimum requirement for a floppy is one big enough for the largest udeb
file you might want to place on it.

> Can anna recover from download failures? High latency, corrupted packets,
> low bandwidth are still issues that users deal with these days... although
> TCP usually does a good job of recovering from corrupted packets. If it
> does have the ability to recover, how nice is it?

I belive it does checksumming, error recovery is one of our weakest
points though.

> The current discover was having problems with finding ISA devices unlike
> an older version... Is this fixed? Is discover 2.0 out yet? Is discover
> still used on the installer? A good test for this might be using boches'
> ethernet card emulation.

We don't probe ISA, since that locks up many machines. 2.0 -- no.
discover -- yes.

--
see shy jo