i18n meeting summary

One of (hopefully) several meeting summaries to be posted to this list.

To complete the i18n framework of d-i, we need:

1. Stop using udeb package descriptions for menu items in main-menu (and
   anna). Instead, each read the description of the debconf question
   named menu-item/<packagename> for each package that provides an item
   on the menu.

   This will let us move all the localisable strings into one place, the
   debconf templates, that we have an architecture in place to support.

2. Modify cdebconf to do a compare of the English text and merge when
   contain a complete translation for a given language, detached from the
   modules that are translated.

3. Add a new command to the debconf protocol, SETTITILE, which takes a
   template name and sets the debconf title to the description of the
   template. This will allow us to localise titles.

4. Fix character set issues.

5. Do away with the modules selection menu, which cannot be translated,
   and is very confusing to users. Instead, allow users who really need
   to select a udeb for install to list them on the boot prompt.

We will be filing bugs for these issues and take it from there.

-- JoeyH, Petter, and Cobaco

--
see shy jo