Re: updated powerpc debian-installer builds

Chris Tillman wrote:
On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 02:38:45PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

Hi

I just updated my webpage[1] with the debian-installer images for
powerpc. The images contain the d-i udebs (modules) that are currently
in the archive. Please test the installer and report bugs. There are
probably plenty of them.

gaudenz

[1] http://www.soziologie.ch/users/steinlin/d-i/

I tried this one out on my iMac, but didn't get too far.  The boot
stops right after finding and mounting the ramdisk image; it says
Warning: console cannot be opened.
I sometimes noticed a similar error message "Unable to open initial console". I thought it was because the unix.o kernel module did not load. But I haven't seen it with the actual d-i build.

I noticed that the vmlinux you have on the site downloaded to my
machine in text/plain format. Do you think that might corrupt it?  The
images on the debian ftp server are named *.bin so that programs
download them in binary format.
I changed the MIME Type of the files so they are correctly reported as application/octet-stream rather than text/plain to the browser. Additionaly I discovered a mistake, the link below netboot-initrd.gz pointed to the file net-initrd.gz which is outdated. Please download again.

Please check these md5sums:

steinlin@theodor:~/www/d-i$ md5sum vmlinux  netboot-initrd.gz
78610a19ad171b066f20808ccaf6a86b  vmlinux
300e92ffdb06fefa90f420d8936f8b83  netboot-initrd.gz

I didn't try it by netbooting, but instead by putting the files
(vmlinux, yaboot, yaboot.conf, net-initrd.gz) on an hfs partition
and then pointing OpenFirmware to them directly:
boot hd:10,yaboot

Will the net-initrd.gz work in this case?
Yes it should. "net" in this case means that only the net-retriever is included in the initrd and you can only download additional udebs from the net. You don't have to use the yaboot.conf on my site in this case. You can simply add a new section in your existing yaboot.conf. In fact the yaboot.conf files on my site are special versions for cd or netbooting.
Did you include the "initrd-size=4000000" and  append="init=/linuxrc"
parameters into your yaboot.conf?

gaudenz