How I installed Sarge using netinst CD

Here is a summary on how I managed to install Sarge using the netinst
images available from
<URL:http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/sarge-i386-netinst.iso>.

 1) Bootet from CD using VMWare, got to the "Welcome to Debian
    GNU/Linux sarge!" entry screen with the "boot:" prompt.  Pressed
    [enter] to continue.

 2) Arrived at the Main Menu, selected "Choose language".  Selected
    "Choose this to proceed in English (USA)".

 3) Back on the Main Menu, I selected "Detect a keyboard and select
    layout".  Selected the default "[us] American" as the keyboard
    layout.

 4) Main Menu again, selected "Load installer modules", and accepted
    the default "cdrom-retriever" for fetching the d-i modules.  I did
    not select any of the extra udebs listed.  The installer now loads
    the rest of the installer modules.

 5) Back on the Main Menu, with a lot more options this time, I select
    "Finish the installation and reboot" on the next screenfull of
    options.  Next is a list of possible partitioning options, I
    select "Automatically Partition Hard drives (unsafe)" to do this
    automaticaly.  I then accept that this will clear all my hard
    drives.

 6) Next is a question about boot loaders.  I select GRUB, because
    LILO do not work at the moment.

 7) Then is the kernel question.  I select the only possible option,
    kernel-image-2.4.20-3-386.

 8) Last, I accept the default GRUB installatoin device '(hd0)'.

 9) Finally, The machine is ready to reboot, and I disconnect the CD
    image before I select <Continue>.

This is the end of debian-installer, and the installed system boot
from hard drive.

 1) I see the GRUB menu for 5 seconds, before it continue with the
    boot process.

 2) I get a "Welcome to your new Debian system!" message.  It looks
    ugly, with no border characters around the debconf dialog box.  I
    press [enter] to continue.

 3) I'm asked whether the HW clock should use GMT.  I select <Yes>.

 4) I'm asked about the area of my desired time zone.  I select
    'Europe'.  Next is the question about city representing the wanted
    time zone.  I select 'Oslo'.

 5) Next I'm asked if I want to use MD5 passwords.  I select <yes>.

 6) I accept the default <Yes> regarding the user of shadow passwords.

 7) I'm told about the concept of a root password.  I press [enter] to
    get past it, and asked first once to enter the root password, and
    then again to verify it.

 8) I say <No> to creating a normal user account to save some time.

 9) I say <No> to the question about using PPP.

10) I accept the cdrom option regarding where to fetch packages from.

11) I'm asked about the device file to use to find the CD.  I connect
    the CDROM image into VMWare, and enters '/dev/hda in the dialog
    box.

12) When asked how to select packages to install, I choose 'nothing'
    to speed up the process.  There are no packages on the CD anyway.

13) Next, exim configuration is started.  I have to press [enter]
    after a short note, then I select [5] to have 'no configuration'.

14) Finally, I get a dialog box saying "Thank you for choosing
    Debian!", before I am given the familiar login: prompt.

With these steps, I was able to get a working Sarge installation.
There were several bugs and misfeatures in the process, but I decided
to ignore them in this summary.