Re: How I installed Sarge using netinst CD

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:59:51PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

>  5) Next I'm asked if I want to use MD5 passwords.  I select <yes>.
>
>  6) I accept the default <Yes> regarding the user of shadow passwords.

I've long wondered why MD5 isn't the default. The old
style Unix passwords were crackable 5 years ago and
certainly this has not gotten harder! I'd think the
weak password algorithm should be a conscious choice
for insecurity rather than the default.

How many newbies are going to know why they should say
yes to MD5?

       IN MY NAME:            Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  No Mushroom clouds over     Islandone Society
    London and New York.      www.islandone.org