Re: d-i and iBooks

* Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@soziologie.ch> [2003-07-31 09:51]:
| What kernel version are you using, are they the same?
2.4.21-benh2

| > I have strange problems with the latest cvs checkout of d-i and creating
| > a cdrom image.
| >
| > If I use the default d-i kernel for ppc's the system boots from cdrom
| > and the simply "hang" after initializing of the adb keyboard.
| do you see other messages. Sometimes the order of the messages is not
| strictly chronological (this happens with usb, adb?). If you see
| something like "Unable to open initial console" then probably the unix.o
| module was not loaded correctly. (IIRC)

no. nothing with doesn't look like kernel messages. No visible errrors.

| > Using my own kernel (with the same yaboot.conf) options, the system
| > boots from cd, load the ramdisk... and then, mysteriously, it boots my
| > normal linux system!
| > The same happens, if I try to boot with the vmlinux image from [1] (thx
| > Gaudenz :-))
| Probably /linuxrc on the initrd is not executed or exits before the call
| to init. Then it could be, that you default root device set in the
| kernel matches your actual root partition or you have a root= option in
| your yaboot.conf.
| Do you pass the init=/linuxrc kernel option?

well. I have found the problem with my own kernel. It simply doesn't
support ramdisk at boot time :-). After compiling this feature in, it
boots into d-i! HIPI!
But I have no success with your kernel. All other files are the same.
Only the vmlinux binary is exchanged. No idea whats wrong with it.

Thanks for your answer.

Bye
Thorsten

--