Re: Debconf vs. graphical installer

Il mer, 2003-07-30 alle 13:46, Sebastian Ley ha scritto:
> * Sebastian Ley wrote:
>
> > here we go to add some discussion on the never ending topic of a
> > graphical installer. The current implementation of the gtk-frontend
> > for cdebconf is highly unsatisfactory. Because of the limited debconf
> > capabilities it is a mere question asker which is not what one would
> > expect from a graphical installer.
>
> Okay, perhaps I sould elaborate on this a bit more to raise your
> interest in this topic ;-)

It is already very intersting for me :-)
I think that in order to support a more sophisticad interaction we
should change the interface protocol in order to add/remove more widget.
This is basically what you pointed out, and I agree on your idea. I do
not know if storing the widget in an .so is much complicated or if it
creates a big overhead, but I like it.

The first step should be to specify what will be the UI manager (text,
dialog, gtk, ...) and then to choice which widget should be implemented.

A first (short) list of widgets could be:

1. A keyboard selector (that could show the different layout)
2. A disk selector (with fidderent icon for different kind of devices)
3. A partitioner (where to specify dimension, position, file system for
every partition)

Bye,
Giuseppe